(1) Install the rocker arm and shaft assemblies with
(2) Cut a 3-inch strip of sealer material into four
the notch on the end of the rocker shaft pointing to the cen-
equal parts and install them under the gasket lock tabs.
terline of the engine. The notch should face the front of the
(3) Set the new gaskets in place with the bead down,
engine on the left bank, and the rear of the engine on the
(4) Set the intake manifold in place. Check to make
sure the gaskets are still in place.
(5) Install the 12 attaching screws finger-tight.
Be sure to install the long, stamped steel
(6) Tighten the attaching screws to 25 ft-lbs, using the
retainers in the number two and four
tightening sequence shown in figure 3-3.Then tighten them
in the same sequence to 35 ft-lbs.
(2) Tighten the rocker shaft attaching bolts to 18 ft-lbs
3-4. Intake Manifold.
(1) Disconnect the negative (ground) cable at the
(2) Drain the cooling system.
(4) Remove the carburetor air cleaner and disconnect
the fuel line at the carburetor.
(5) Disconnect the carburetor linkage and tie it out of
(6) Remove the distributor (TM 9-2320-266-20).
(7) Disconnect the vacuum advance and PCV valve
hoses at the carburetor.
(8) Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose from
Figure 3-3. Intake Manifold Tightening Sequence.
the intake manifold.
(9) Disconnect the coil wires.
(7) Install the carburetor, ignition coil, and distributor.
(10) Disconnect the wire from the temperature
(8) Install the upper radiator, heater, and bypass hoses.
(9) Connect the wires to the coil and the temperature
(11) Disconnect the upper radiator hose, the heater
hose, and the bypass hose at the intake manifold.
(10) Connect the brake booster vacuum hose, the PCV
(12) Remove the intake manifold bolts.
valve hose, and the vacuum advance line. Connect the car-
buretor linkage and the carburetor fuel supply line.
(13) Remove the intake manifold, ignition coil, and
carburetor as an assembly,
(12) Close the radiator draincock and fill the cooling
(14) Remove the carburetor and ignition coil from
the intake manifold.
(13) Install the carburetor air cleaner and connect the
battery ground cable.
(1) Clean the manifold with solvent. Blow it dry with
3-5. Exhaust Manifolds.
(2) Inspect the manifold for cracks.
To remove the exhaust manifolds, disconnect the exhaust
pipe, remove the manifold attaching nuts and bolts, and re-
(3) Inspect all mating surfaces for flatness.
(4) Inspect the exhaust crossover passages for carbon
the above procedure and tighten the mounting bolts to
deposits. If the passages are coated with hard black carbon,
scrape them clean and sandblast them.
3-6. Cylinder Heads.
The chrome alloy, cast-iron cylinder heads are shown in
Before sandblasting the manifold, remove
the temperature sending unit and the
thermostat (TM 9-2320-266-20).
(1) Clean all gasket surfaces.