This task covers:
General mechanic's tool kit:
Engine oil filler tube removed (TM 9-2320-280-20).
Kick-down switch removed (TM 9-2320-280-20).
Accelerator cable mounting bracket removed
Remove TP sensor (TM 9-2320-280-20).
General Safety Instructions
Do not perform this procedure near fire, flames,
Gaskets installed on some 6.2L engines
assembled prior to 1991 may contain asbestos.
Gaskets should be disposed of IAW current
Diesel fuel is highly flammable. Do not perform this procedure near
fire, flames, or sparks. Severe injury or death will result.
Gaskets installed on some 6.2L engines assembled prior to 1991 may
contain asbestos. Gaskets should be removed with a scraper or putty
knife then disposed of IAW current directives. Inhalation of asbestos
fibers can cause respiratory ailments
Cover or plug all hoses, connections, and openings immediately after
disconnection or component removal to prevent contamination. Remove
all plugs prior to connection.
The fuel injection pump replacement procedures for 6.2L and 6.5L
engine models prior to, and later than 1990 are basically the same.
Refer to engine decal model number on left rocker arm cover before
ordering replacement parts, since replacement parts are not
In some cases, flanged head fasteners may be present instead of
standard fasteners and washers. In all cases, washers should be used
when replacing a flanged head fastener with a standard fastener.
Prior to removal, tag leads for installation.
Have drainage container available to catch fuel.
1. Disconnect leads 54A (3) and 569B (4) at fuel injection pump (7).
1.1. Remove tiedown strap (3.1) from leads 54A (3) and 569B (4). Discard tiedown strap (3.1).
2. Loosen clamp (2) and disconnect fuel drain back hose (1) from fuel injection pump (7).
3. Loosen clamp (9) and disconnect outlet hose (10) from hose adapter (8).
4. Remove return spring (5) from throttle shaft lever (6).
5. Pull off cable clip (12) from modulator link pin (13).
6. Slide modulator link (11) forward and disconnect from fuel injection pump (7).
7. Remove hose adapter (8) from fuel injection pump (7).