3-34. REAR MAIN SEAL REPLACEMENT (Cont).
CLEANING AND INSPECTION
1. Wipe oil from rear main seal grooves in engine bloc and rear main bbearing cap (1). Remove
all rear main seal material from mating surfaces.
Carburetor cleaning compound is highly flammable. Keep away from open
flame. Failure to follow this warning may result in serious injury or death to
Using carburetor cleaning compound, clean rear main bearing cap (1), rear main seal
grooves, and surface of engine block that mates with rear main bearing cap.
Check rear main bearing clearance. (See paragraph 3-1 4)
1. Loosen inner bolts and outer bolts of
all main bearing caps 2 turns and
allow crankshaft (4) to drop.
2. Manufacture oil seal installation tool
from 0.004 in. (0,102 mm) shim
stock as shown.
3. Apply lubricating oil to crankshaft (4) journal and rear main seal lips where they contact
Ensure that rear main seal halves (5 and 6) are installed with word
OUTSIDE facing toward rear of engine block (7).
4. Position lip of oil seal installation tool where upper rear main seal half (6) will enter engine block