10-24. AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR MAINTENANCE (M1010).
This task covers:
l Both battery negative cables disconnected,
(See TM 9-2320-289-20)
l Air conditioning system discharged.
(See paragraph 10-21 )
Compressor tool kit, J-29888
l Belt tensioning gage
l Torque wrench
One drain screw gasket
One nut kit
One preformed packing kit
One ring kit
One seal kit
One suction screen
Refrigerant oil (Item 55, Appendix B)
a . R E M O V AL
1. Loosen 3 adjusting bolts (10) and pivot nut (12), and move compressor assembly (14) to
right. Remove air conditioner belt (13).
Ensure that all openings and connections are immediately plugged after
disconnection to prevent contamination of air conditioning system,
2. On rear of compressor assembly (14), remove bolt and Iockwasher, and disconnect
compressor lines. Discard Iockwasher.
3. Remove bolt and Iockwasher from clip retaining electrical connector to compressor assembly
(14). Disconnect electrical connector from compressor assembly. Discard Iockwasher.
4. Remove 3 adjusting bolts (10), 5 bolts (8), and pivot nut (1 2). Remove compressor assembly
(14) with front adjusting bracket (11 ) and rear adjusting bracket (9).
Perform step 5 only if brackets (4, 6, or 16) or mounting hardware are
5. Remove 2 nuts (1), bolt (15), and lower front bracket (16) from water pump studs (2).
Remove 2 nuts (3) and upper rear bracket (4) from intake manifold studs (5). Remove 2 bolts
(7) and lower rear bracket (6).