FRONT AND REAR AXLE DRIVE PINION AND BEARINGS MAINTENANCE
4. Mount 2 side bearing discs (18) on ends of arbor (19) using step of disc that fits bores of
housing (4). Place arbor and plunger in housing, Ensure that side bearing discs are properly
seated in bores. Install 2 bearing caps over side bearing discs and tighten 4 bearing cap bolts
5. Place dial indicator (20) on mounting post of arbor. Contact button should rest on top surface
of plunger. O the dial indicator with probe on high point of gaging surface.
6. Rotate gage plate (13) until plunger rests directly upon 8 1/2 in. button. Rock plunger rod slowly
back and forth across button until dial indicator (20) reads greatest deflection. Set dial
indicator to O.
7. Ensure that all tools are properly and securely installed inside housing (4).
It is important to use dial indicator (20) correctly when determining pinion
depth requirement. Number indicated by indicator needle should be
recorded. - DO NOT record amount of needle travel.
8. Repeat rocking action of plunger several times to verify dial indicator (20)
setting is obtained, swing plunger off gaging plate button. Dial indicator will
drive pinion shim thickness for nominal or O pinion. Record reading.
setting, Once final
now show required