(3) Remove the shaft through the lower end of the
(4) Remove the two retaining screws and lift the
lamp assembly out of the way.
c. Lock Housing.
(5) Remove the snap ring from the upper end of the
(1) Place the cylinder in the LOCK position and
remove the key. Insert a small diameter screwdriver or a
similar tool into the lock cylinder release hole and push in to
release the spring-loaded lock retainer. At the same time,
and remove the ignition switch assembly.
Figure 21-10. Removing Steering Shaft Bearing Upper Snap
b. Steering Shaft and Bearing Housing. Remove the three
Figure 21-12. Removing Lock Cylinder.
screws which hold the bearing housing to the lock housing.
(2) Remove the shift indicator and lamp assembly.
(3) Remove the four lock-housing-to-column jacket
These screws must be removed before
hex head retaining screws and remove the lock housing from
steering shaft removal.
(1) Install steering shaft remover C-4044, and press
the shaft out of the bearing. Remove the bearing housing
Figure 21-13. Lock-Housing-to-Column Jacket Retaining
d. Shift Tube and Housing.
(1) To remove the shift tube, first straighten the tabs
at the top of the shift tube which are bent outward against
the shift housing casting.
Figure 21-11. Pressing Shaft Out of Bearing.
(2) Removal procedure is as follows:
(a) Remove the shift lever and shift lever gate
(2) Remove the bearing lower snap ring from the