REPAIR OF THE STEERING BOX AND STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY
Section I. REPAIR OF THE STEERING BOX
21-1. Disassembling the Steering Box.
a. General. Thoroughly clean the entire outside surface
of the steering gear before disassembly to avoid contami-
nating the wormshaft and ball nut assembly with dirt or
b. Disassembly Procedure.
(1) Clamp the steering gear in a vise with the jaws on
the mounting lug.
(2) Rotate the wormshaft from stop to stop,
counting the turns. Then turn it back exactly halfway,
placing it on center.
(3) Loosen the sector shaft adjuster screw locknut
and remove the cover-to-housing bolts.
(4) Lift the side cover and sector shaft assembly from
the gear housing. Using a plastic hammer, tap lightly on the
Figure 21-2. Removing Ball Nut and Wormshaft.
Be careful that the ball nut does not run
down to either end of the wormshaft. The
ball guide ends can be damaged if the ball
nut is allowed to rotate until it stops at
the end of the worm.
(7) Remove the remaining wormshaft bearing from
the gear housing,
(8) Using a screwdriver, pry the lower bearing
retainer from the adjuster plug, and remove the bearing
(9) Remove the locknut from the sector shaft
adjusting screw and remove the screw by turning it clock-
wise. Slide the adjuster screw and shim out of the slot in
the end of the sector shaft.
(10) Remove the wormshaft and sector shaft seals.
(11) Having disassembled the steering gear completely,
make sure all parts are clean. Wash the parts in cleaning
solvent and dry them thoroughly with compressed air.
Check the bearings and bearing cups for signs of defects
Figure 21-1. Removing Sector Shaft Assembly.
such as cracks, surface imperfections, and distorted cage.
(5) Loosen the wormshaft bearing adjuster locknut
Replace defective parts.
and remove the wormshaft bearing adjuster assembly in-
21-2. Recondition Gear.
cluding one bearing and one cup.
a. Sector Shaft Bushing - Side Cover. Check the sector
(6) Remove the wormshaft and ball nut assembly
shaft and bushing for wear. If the clearance resulting from
441-399 0 - 84 - 15