(8) Install spreader tool W-129-A and a dial indicator
and spread the earner 0.015 to 0.020 inch. Remove the
bearing caps and lift the differential assembly from thc
housing. Then remove the spreader.
20-2. Drive Pinion Depth of Mesh Setting and
Pinion Bearing Preload.
drive pinion bearing cups, and to determine the pinion
depth of mesh as follows:
Figure 20-14. Seating Bearing Cups in Axle Housing.
(5) Lubricate the drive pinion bearing cones.
(6) Hold the compression sleeve with tool C-3281.
and tighten the compression nut until the cups are seated.
Turn the tool several times while tight-
Figure 20-12. Tool Set C-758-44-60.
ening, so the bearing rollers will aline in
a. Installing Bearing Cups.
the cups and prevent damage.
(1) Position the drive pinion cups into the axle
(7) After [he bearings
are seated, loosen
pression nut. Retighten the nut to produce 10-30 in-lbs
(2) Install adapter SP-5586 on shaft SP-5585. Then
Figure 20-15. Checking Pinion Bearing Preload.
Figure 20-13. Installing the Front Bearing Cone.
b. Determining Depth of Mesh and Preload.
(1) With pinion tool SP-5385 in place, attach adapter
(3) Position the tool in the axle housing.
SP-3250 with a cap screw and tighten securely.
(4) Install adapter SP-5585, the front bearing cone,
(2) Center adapter SP-561 in the axle housing.
and adapters SP-3194-B, SP-534, and SP-3193 on tool
the differential bearing caps. Torque
bolts to 10 ft-lbs.