Figure 18-22. Planetary Gear Train and Output Shaft (4X2 Models).
Figure 18-23. Planetary Gear Train and Output Shaft (4X4 Models).
(5) Inspect all thrust washers for wear and scoring.
the sun gear if necessary. Note that the front end of the sun
Replace them if they are damaged or worn beyond the limits
gear is longer than the rear.
c. Inspection Procedures.
(6) Check the planetary gear carrier thrust faces for
(1) Inspect the bearing surfaces on the output shaft
wear, scores, or other damage. Replace as necessary.
for nicks, burrs, scores, or other damage. Light scratches,
(7) Check the planetary gear carrier for cracks. Look
small nicks, or burrs can be removed with crocus cloth or a
for worn or broken gear teeth on the pinion Iockpins.
(8) Inspect the annulus gear and driving gear teeth
(2) Check the speedometer drive gear for any nicks or
burrs. Remove them with a sharp-edged stone.
(3) Make sure all oil passages in the shaft are open and
d . A s s e m b l y . S e e figure 18-23 for parts identification.
(1) Install the rear annulus gear on the output shaft.
(4) inspect the sun gear bushings for wear or scores.
Apply a thin coat of grease on the thrust plate. Place it on
Replace the sun gear assembly if the bushings are damaged.