Figure 18-14. Replacing Front Clutch Retainer Bushing.
(3) Lay the clutch retainer (open end up) on a clean,
Figure 18-13. Removing or installing Front Clutch Spring
smooth surface. Slide a new bushing on installing head
Retainer Snap Ring.
SP-5511 and start it into the clutch retainer bore.
(3) Invert the clutch retainer assembly and bump it
on a wood block to remove the piston. Remove the seals
(4) Install handle tool C4171 in the installer. Drive
the bushing into the clutch retainer until the tool bottoms.
from the piston and clutch retainer hub.
(5) Thoroughly clean the clutch retainer before assem-
bly and installation.
(1) Inspect the plates and discs for flatness. They
must not be warped or cone-shaped. Inspect facing material
on all driving discs. Replace discs that are charred, glazed,
(1) Lubricate and install the inner seal on the hub of
or heavily pitted. Replace discs if they show evidence of
the clutch retainer. Make sure the seal's lip faces downward
material flaking off, or if facing material can be easily
and is properly seated in the groove.
scraped off. Inspect the driving disc splines for wear or other
(2) Install the outer seal on the clutch piston with the
damage. Inspect steel plate and pressure plate surfaces for
lip of the seal toward the bottom of the clutch retainer.
burning, scoring, or damaged driving lugs. Replace if
Apply a coating of non-petroleum-base, wax-type lubricant
to the outer edge of the seals for easier installation of the
(2) Inspect the steel plate lug grooves in the clutch re-
piston assembly. Place the piston assembly in the retainer
tainer for smooth surfaces; the plates must travel freely in
and carefully seat the piston in the bottom of the retainer.
the grooves. Inspect the band-contacting surface on the
clutch retainer for scores. Inspect the ball check in the
clutch retainer for nicks or deep scratches; light scratches
Position the spring retainer and snap ring over the springs.
will not interfere with sealing of neoprene seals. Inspect the
clutch retainer bushing for wear or scores.
seat the snap ring in the hub groove. Remove the compres-
(3) Inspect the inside bore of the piston for score
marks; if only light scores are present, remove them with
(4) Lubricate all clutch plates with transmission fluid.
crocus cloth. Inspect seal grooves for nicks and burrs. In-
Install one steel plate followed by a lined plate (disc) until
the number given in the chart is installed (see table 18-2).
Inspect the piston springs, retainer, and snap ring for
Install the pressure plate and snap ring. Make sure the snap
ring is properly seated.
c. Replacing the Front Clutch Retainer Bushing.
(5) With the front clutch completely assembled, insert
a feeler gage between the pressure plate and the snap ring
(1) Lay the clutch retainer (open end down) on a
clean, smooth surface and place removing head tool SP-
3629 in the bushing Install handle tool C-4l71 in the re-
(2) Drive the bushing out of the clutch retainer bore.
Be careful not to cock the tool in the bore.