Figure 17-6. Removing Detent Ball Plug.
Figure 17-4. Positioning Transfer Case on Blocks
Figure 17-5. Removing Retaining Pin.
which fail from the cover. If it is necessary to replace the
rear bearing, support the cover and press out the bearing.
Position a new bearing in the outside face of the cover and
Figure 17-7. Removing Front Output Shaft.
press it in until the bearing is flush with the opening.
(18) Lift the input shaft assembly from the range box
(12) Pry the output shaft front bearing out of the
lower side of the case.
(13) Disengage the front output shaft from the chain
b. Cleaning and Inspecting.
(1) Bearings. Clean all bearings
in a suitable solvent
(14) Remove the bolts attaching the intermediate
and blow them dry with compressed air. Do not spin
the bearings. Immediately after air drying, coat the ma-
chain housing to the range box. Using a chain hoist,
remove the intermediate housing from the range box (figure
chined surfaces of all components with oil to prevent
(15) Remove the chain from the intermediate housing.
(2) Shafts and gears. With
a suitable solvent,
all shafts and gears of all deposits. Dry with compressed air.
(16) Remove the lockout clutch, drive gear, and input
shaft assembly from the range box. A 1-1/2 to 2 inch band-
(3) Case, cover, and housings. Clean the transfer case,
type hose clamp may be used to retain the 123 roller bear-
cover, and housings thoroughly, removing all dirt and
ings on the input shaft.
lubricant Remove residual deposits from the magnets in the
range box and chain housing. Remove all gasket material
(17) Pull up the shift rail and disconnect it from the
from the gasket surface areas.