(19) Install the thrust washer on the armature shaft.
(20) Position the starter end head assembly. Install
the through bolts and tighten.
15-9. Testing the Starter.
a. Free Running Test. Place the starter in a vise and
connect a fully-charged, 12V battery to it as follows:
a test ammeter (100 amp scale) and
carbon pile rheostat in the series with the battery positive
post and the starter terminal.
a voltmeter (15V scale) across
(4) Connect the battery cable from the battery
negative post to the starter frame.
(5) Adjust the rheostat until the battery voltage
shown on the voltmeter reads 11V. Amperage draw should
(1) Place the starter on a test bench.
Figure 15-25. Positioning Armature Thrust Washer
(2) Test the starter with the applied battery voltage
adjusted to 4V. Amperage draw should be 475-550 amps
(see table 15-l).
Figure 15-26. Installing Armature.