fully slide the outer and inner axle shaft, complete with
(14) Using tool C-4212-L and components of
universal joint, from the axle housing.
adapter set C-4288 as shown in figure 64, press the lower
ball joint from the steering knuckle. Reposition the tool as
shown in figure 6-5 and press the upper ball joint from the
steering knuckle. Replace the ball joints if inspection
Figure 6-2. Removing Inner Oil Seal from
(9) Remove the nuts from the steering knuckle arm.
Tap the steering knuckle arm to loosen the tapered dowels.
Remove the tapered dowels and the steering knuckle arm.
(10) Remove the cotter key from the upper ball joint
nut. Remove the upper and lower ball joint nuts.
(11) Using a brass drift and hammer, separate the
steering knuckle from the axle housing yoke.
Figure 6-4. Removing Lower Ball Joint from
(12) Using tool C-4169, remove and discard the sleeve
from the upper ball joint yoke on the axle housing.
(13) Position the steering knuckle in a vise and remove
the snapring from the lower ball joint (figure 6-3)
Figure 6-5. Removing Upper Ball Joint from
Figure 6.3. Removing or Installing Snap Ring on Lower