transfer-to-transmission adapter mounting bolts.
(4) Place the range shift linkage (outside lever) into
neutral, keeping the lockout shift lever in unlock, as shown
(3) Remove the jack.
in figure 54.
(4) Connect the shift rods and speedometer cable.
(5) Connect the front and rear output shafts to the
5-3. Replacing the Bearing and Seal.
a. Input Gear Bearing.
(2) Remove the bearing retainer screws, retainer,
and gasket from the housing. Discard the gasket.
(3) Remove the bearing retaining snap ring from the
(4) Pry the bearing from the case and remove it from
(5) Remove the access hole cover. This provides an
opening to inspect the input and countergear assemblies.
Check for burrs, scoring, heat discoloration, or other
irregularities; replace the transfer assembly if any of these
(6) Install the outer ring into the groove of the new
input gear bearing and with a soft hammer, tap it into place
in the housing.
Figure 5-4. Levers Positioned for Adjustment.
(7) Select the service ring size that will provide the
tightest fit and install the ring in the bearing retaining
groove of the input gear shaft.
(5) Retighten the swivel rod clamp lockscrews to
(8) Position the new gasket and the bearing retainer
on the housing. Install the retaining screws. Tighten to
(6) Remove the 11/64-inch alinement rod from the
(9) Replace the access hole cover gasket and reinstall
(7) Cycle the transfer shift lever to check for proper
b. Removing the Transfer Assembly.
b. Input Gear Bearing Retainer Seal.
(1) Remove the bottom bolt from the front output
rear cover. Allow the case to drain completely and then
replace the bolt.
(2) Remove the bearing retainer attaching screws,
(2) Disconnect the speedometer cable.
retainer, and gasket from the housing. Discard the gasket.
(3) Disconnect the front and rear output shafts
(3) Pry the seal out of the retainer.
from the yokes. Secure each shaft; do not let them hang
(4) Apply sealer to the outer diameter of the new
seal and install it flush with the housing.
(4) Disconnect the shift rods at the transfer case.
(5) Install the bearing retainer and gasket on the
housing and tighten the capscrews to 20 ft-lbs.
(5) Support the transfer assembly with a jack.
(6) Remove the transfer to transmission adapter
c. Front Output Shaft Bearing Retainer Seal. The
following procedure may be accomplished without
(7) Move the transfer assembly rearward to disengage
removing the transfer assembly.
the front Input spline.
(1) Remove the front output shaft yoke locknut,
(8) Lower the transfer assembly with the jack.
washer, and rubber seal. Tap or pry the yoke off the
Remove it from under the vehicle.
c. Installing the Transfer Assembly.
(2) Remove the seal.
(1) Place the transfer assembly on a jack.
(3) Clean and inspect the retainer: replace if
(2) Position the transfer assembly under the truck and
aline it with the transmission output shaft. Engage the input
spline with the transmission output shaft and install the