b. Metal drilling equipment necessary to apply MWO is contained in this set:
Shop Equipment, Automotive
Maintenance and Repair
Common No. 1
a. VEHICLE PREPARATION.
(1) Apply parking brake. (Refer to TM 9-2320-280-10.)
(2) If installed, remove driver's side front door. (Refer to TM 9-2320-280-20.)
(3) Place driver's seat to the furthest rear position. (Refer to TM 9-2320-280-10.)
b. STEERING COLUMN INSPECTION.
(1) Loosen nut on pin and place steering column in down position on mounting support as shown in figure 1.
When checking tab inserts at end of steering column, do not allow steering column to slip from
support bracket. Steering column can fall causing injury to personnel.
(2) Remove two shoulder bolts, washers, and nuts from steering column as shown in figure 2.
(3) Check tab inserts at end of steering column for paint and metal cracking as shown in figure 2. If cracking is
present on or around tab inserts, discontinue inspection procedure and replace steering column (Refer to
Check shoulder bolts removed in step "2" for "mushrooming" around shaft area of shoulder
bolt as shown in figure 2. If mushrooming is present, replace shoulder bolts, washers, and
nuts (Refer to TM 9-2320280-20).
If mushrooming is not present, perform step "4".
(4) Install two existing shoulder bolts, washers, and two MS51943-31 nuts as shown in figure 2. Tighten nuts to
10 lb-ft (14 N-m).
c. STEERING COLUMN BRACKET INSTALLATION.
(1) Remove screw, nut, and ground lead 57C from steering column as shown in figure 1.
(2) Secure ground lead 57C and 12342875 bracket to steering column with 431942 screw and 271169 nut as
(3) Secure 12342876 bracket to bracket (12342875) and steering column with B1821BH025C1OON screw, two
MS27183-10 washers, and MS51943-31 nut as shown in figure 3. Tighten nut to 10 lb-ft (14 Nm).
(4) Tighten nut (271169) installed in step "2" as shown in figure 3.
(5) Place steering column and pin in upward position on mounting support until steering column cannot be
raised any further as shown in figure 5. Tighten nut on pin to 14 lb-ft (19 Nm).